Canker sores are painful ulcers that occur on the mucous membrane surface of the mouth, cheek, or tongue. They can occur singly or in groups, and occur more in women than in men.
Symptoms of canker sores range from mild to severe. In both types of canker sores, recurring attacks are common, with several to many ulcers appearing each time. The ulcers have whitish centers surrounded by redness.
Mild symptoms usually associated with canker sores that are less than one centimeter in diameter, last ten days to two weeks and heal without scarring.
Severe symptoms usually associated with canker sores that are more than one centimeter in diameter, last several weeks to several months, and leave scarring.
Bowel flora imbalances due to parasites, poor digestion, food sensitivities, chronic constipation or diarrhea, and/or Crohn`s disease can all cause or exacerbate canker sores. Many naturopathic physicians believe that the basic cause of canker sores is most likely an allergy to wheat and/or other grains. Other experts believe that bacteria or viruses may be involved. If canker sores are persistent, each of these factors need to be ruled out and/or addressed before long-term healing can be achieved.
Canker sores can also be due to stress, extreme heat, physical exertion, extreme fatigue, fever, localized trauma such as after dental work, and nutrient deficiencies such as lysine, iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid. They can also be contagious if they result from an infectious agent.
Eat a diet that varies grains and add a variety of beans, seeds, and nuts.
Mono-wheat diets contribute to canker sores, and therefore should be avoided.
Also avoid foods and substances that may irritate the ulcers such as coffee, alcohol, refined sugar, citrus fruits, spicy foods, commercial mouthwashes, and smoking.
In cases of severe canker sores, eliminate or eat sparingly acid-forming foods such as animal products, grains, beans, and seeds, and increase your intake of alkaline-producing foods, especially vegetables and fruits.
Canker sores that are due to food sensitivities or allergies are more typically caused by eating milk, cheese, wheat, tomato, vinegar, lemon, pineapple, and/or mustard. It is important to realize that any food or food substance can potentially cause food sensitivities, which must be ruled out in order to achieve long-term healing.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so also try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef.
www.grasslandbeef.com The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
- Take vitamin C, lysine (an amino acid – take 4 grams for the first four days, then 500 mg three times daily, on an empty stomach between meal), vitamin B complex (two to three times daily with meals, along with folic acid and vitamin B12), zinc gluconate lozenges and pantothenic acid.
- Take a good probiotic to ensure a proper supply of healthy bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
Seen as though Canker sores can be caused by stress, here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis – Find out more by clicking here.
– Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a local practitioner here
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a local practitioner here
- Practice Meditation: Meditation has been scientifically shown to relieve stress, as well as to improve overall health and immune function, and to reduce the pain and suffering caused by chronic disease. In fact, in 1984, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommended meditation as the more appropriate and effective choice for treating mild cases of high blood pressure, instead of commonly prescribed blood pressure medications. Meditation can offer new insights and improved coping strategies, better enabling you to meet the challenges of the day. Some types of meditation, such as Transcendental Meditation (TM), have even been shown to produce deeper states of physical relaxation than ordinary sleep.Although there are many types of meditation practices to choose from, all of them have one thing in common: focused attention on the breath. If you are new to meditation, you can begin by sitting up straight yet comfortably and closing your eyes. Place your attention on your breathing as you inhale and exhale. Each time you find your attention starting to wander, simply refocus on your breath. Though doing so may seem difficult initially, with practice it will become easier and easier, and you will easily spend 20 to 30 minutes meditating in this manner. The key is to be gentle with yourself and not force. At first, you may find yourself unable to sit still for more than a few minutes. If that is the case, don’t continue. Instead, each day seek to add to the length of your meditation practice until you reach your goal of 20 to 30 minutes per session.
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Herbal remedies for canker sores www.ehow.com/video_4399535_herbal-remedies-canker-sores.html
Ayurvedic remedies for canker sores www.homeveda.com/oral-health/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-canker-sores.html
Vitamin B12 reduces canker sores angiemedia.com/2009/02/13/vitamin-b12-reduces-frequency-and-severity-of-canker-sores/#.UHv2hFF_uSo
Bee propolis and canker sores www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21542
Further Information (links and books)
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Sega
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Rosemary essential oil
www.rivendellaromatics.com (805) 649-2476
Probiotics, Healthy Trinity by Natren
www.natren.com (866) 462-8736
Lysine, Super Lysine+
www.quantumhealth.com (800) 448-1448
Vitamin B complex, Sublingual B-12
Vitamin C, Pure Radiance C
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
Zinc gluconate lozenges, Quantum
www.quantumhealth.com (800) 448-1448
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
judith hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Pantothenic acid – www.myhealthstore.com
Vitamin B Complex – www.sublingualb12.com
Zinc gluconate lozenges – www.quantumhealth.com
Rosemary essential oil – www.rivendellaromatics.com
Lysine, Super Lysine+ – www.quantumhealth.com