Dizziness refers to a loss of balance or unsteadiness that can often be accompanied by a sensation of faintness and/or lightheadedness.
More severe symptoms of dizziness are often defined as vertigo. There are two types of vertigo: subjective vertigo, in which the individual has impression he or she is spinning, and objective vertigo, in which it appears that objects are spinning around the individual.
Note: True vertigo is caused by a problem somewhere within the middle ear, eighth (acoustic) cranial nerve, the brain (brain stem), or the eyes. Unlike dizziness, vertigo is usually associated with nausea, vomiting, and severe sweating, and is mainly caused by viral infection in the canals of inner ear or Meniere`s disease, which is characterized by bouts of severe nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), hearing loss, and dizziness that can persist for days and weeks.
Dizziness is usually caused by a sudden drop of blood pressure in the brain as a result of standing up too quickly (postural hypotension), fatigue, stress, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), temporary blockage of blood to the brain as in a transient ischemic attack, low blood oxygenation (anemia), low blood iron, and/or certain drugs.
Lightheadedness, giddiness, and fear of losing one`s balance may be a sign of depression or anxiety.
Some cases of dizziness can also be due to mercury poisoning from dental amalgams. If you have such fillings in your teeth, consider having them replaced by a holistic dentist trained in their proper removal (see Holistic Dentistry).
If dizziness is caused by standing after sitting or lying down, this can be an indication of adrenal exhaustion. The individual should take action to restore adrenal health by stopping the use of stimulants (caffeine, tobacco, alcohol) and via rest and normalization of lifestyle and nutritional balance.
Caution: Severe or prolonged dizziness needs to be evaluated by health professional and may require blood tests.
Eat an organic, whole foods diet. If you are hypoglycemic (suffering from low blood sugar), eat smaller meals throughout the day and eliminate your intake of refined sugars, caffeinated beverages, and alcohol. If you are anemic, consume more chicken, dark green vegetables, and raw seeds.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Vitamin B complex, niacin (vitamin B3), vitamin E, and iron (in cases of dizziness related to anemia) are helpful supplements for preventing and minimizing the effects of dizziness.
For dizziness related to adrenal exhaustion, also include vitamin C (3-5 grams daily), vitamin B5 (500-1000 mg daily), and adrenal glandulars as part of your daily supplement program.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com orwww.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Acupuncture and its benefits in treating vertigo: www.longmontacupuncture.net/vertigo.html
TCM and treating vertigo:www.pingminghealth.com/article/275/clinical-origins-and-treatment-of-vertigo/
Treating vertigo with ginger: www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/10/18/ginger-to-treat/
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Home Ayurveda therapies for vertigo:www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2KuS4durSA
How to cure dizziness with yoga: www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gpchMFbxE
Home remedies for vertigo: www.ehow.com/video_7489636_home-remedies-vertigo.html
Ayurvedic home remedies: www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2KuS4durSA
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Treating vertigo at home: www.news-medical.net/news/2004/07/13/3279.aspx
Cell/mobile phone dangers and vertigo link: www.naturalnews.com/027232_cell_phone_use_radiation.html
Vertigo linked to inner ear “rock slides”: www.naturalnews.com/036848_vertigo_inner_ear_rock_slides.html
Further Information (links and books)
Natural Vertigo & Dizziness Relief [Kindle Edition]; The Book on Dizziness: Natural Solutions for Dizziness and Balance Disorders, Dr Mark A. Scott
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine