Generally, symptoms of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis resemble those of hypothyroidism and are often subtle. They are not specific (which means they can mimic the symptoms of many other conditions) and are often attributed to aging.
Common symptoms and signs include the following:
- Modest weight gain
- Cold intolerance
- Excessive sleepiness
- Dry skin and hair
- Muscle cramps
- Increased cholesterol levels
- Decreased concentration
- Swelling of the legs
- Vague aches and pains
If the condition becomes more severe, there may be puffiness around the eyes, a drop in body temperature, a slowing of the heart rate, and heart failure.In its most profound form, severe hypothyroidism may lead to a life-threatening coma (myxedema), and in a severely hypothyroid individual, myxedema coma tends to be triggered by severe illness, surgery, stress, or traumatic injury.
The exact cause of Hashimoto’s Disease is not known. However, many factors are believed to play a part and these include:
Genes – People with Hashimoto’s tend to have family members with thyroid disease or an autoimmune disease.
Excessive iodine – Certain drugs and too much iodine (a trace element required by the body to make thyroid hormones) could trigger the disease in people who are susceptible to it.
Hormones – Affecting about seven times as many women as men, hormones are believed to play a role. Some women who have thyroid problems during the first year after having a baby; although the problem usually goes away, as many as 20% of these women develop Hashimoto’s years later.
Radiation exposure – Exposed radiation may be a result of increased cases of thyroid disease. Those exposed to radiation, including the atomic bombs in Japan, the Chernobyl nuclear accident, and radiation treatment for a form of blood cancer called Hodgkin’s disease may be more at risk.
For those looking for a healthy thyroid diet, here are some tips which may prove beneficial:
- Don’t skip breakfast – Even if it’s just a small breakfast consisting of some quality protein, eating when you wake up is beneficial for those suffering from Hashimoto’s Disease. Try to eat regularly thereafter, too – skipping meals will cause problems with the hormone cortisol, which can eventually lead to adrenal gland problems
- Minimize your consumption of refined foods and sugars – Eating foods like this affects the hormones insulin and cortisol, spiking up blood sugar levels which then come crashing down. This causes the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol and if you this routine is repeated over time could lead to conditions such as adrenal fatigue, insulin resistance and even type 2 diabetes.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef.
www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Since most people don’t get all of the necessary vitamins and minerals from their diet, it’s a good idea to take one or more quality nutritional supplements if suffering from Hashimoto’s disease.
Selenium and vitamin C are believed to be beneficial for those suffering from Hashimoto’s disease, as discussed in the video featuring supplements (see the video section in this document below).
According to research (including a 1979 study by Hartoma, Sotaniemi and Maattanen entitled “Effect of zinc on some biochemical indices of metabolism”), thyroid hormone levels are lower in people who also have lower blood levels of zinc.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – http://ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/squeaky_clean.php
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Hashimoto’s and homeopathy www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Dj7aB5Ac8
Hashimoto’s Disease and Bikram Yoga /www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqtFsREakfc
Natural remedies for thyroid problems www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa095k1tgNk
Healing the body meditation www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFh-Km4AXeE&feature=related
EFT for treating disease http://www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Natural Help for Hashimoto’s (Kindle copy) by Jonathan Heisey http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Help-for-Hashimotos-ebook/dp/B009K3RLPK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374228987&sr=8-5&keywords=hashimoto%27s+disease
Aromatherapy for Hashimoto’s disease http://suite101.com/article/aromatherapy-for-hypothyroidism-a100496
Herbs for Hashimoto’s disease http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/archives/three-powerful-herbs-for-hypothyroidism-hashimotos-thyroiditis/
Three essential thyroid/diet tips for sufferers of Hashimoto’s Disease http://drerico23.hubpages.com/hub/3-Essential-Thyroid-Diet-Tips-For-Hashimotos-Thyroiditis-Sufferers
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.